"Sharing writing successes - and rookie mistakes - since 2006"

Monday, September 30, 2024

Moral sense prevails over X

Last week I was heartened to see that Pan Macmillan, publisher of my Secret War books, decided to take a stance against unsocial media, and the toxic behaviour some social media companies are blatantly demonstrating. It will be no surprise to some reading this, that I refer to the X-Twitter platform that I and other writers have vacated since Elon Musk took over.


This is not about freedom of speech, and it never was. It's about responsible speech. Or in this case, a platform that encourages toxic behaviour (not disruption, no, but encouraging behaviour that is damaging to society, or the unwillingness to do anything about hate). Social media companies have a particular problem with that, and X is not alone in being irresponsible. However, at least they're not encouraging it. When a platform's owner starts spreading disinformation, alarm bells ring.

So I am glad that Pan Mac has taken this position. Other publishers should also start seriously thinking about this. As a writer, I am led by a moral compass as much as financial means, and when I start hiking around books next year I will make decisions based on how a publisher promotes my works and where, rather than how big or successful they are.

As for this writer, I've now taken to Instagram's Threads. It is what Twitter used to be before it turned to the Darkside. It's a place where you'll feel a lot safer (although let's just be honest here, any social media platform is a magnet for trolls and attention seekers), and it's also more creatively unshackled. 

You'll find me on there now. Just as you will find some of my other writer-friends there. It's the new home of writers and writing, so join us over on Threads. You'll find us a friendly, helpful bunch - because writing isn't just a solitary gig, you know?

Writers Threads